Thursday, February 23, 2012

Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust

Last Ash Wednesday was on March 9th.... the day I got two lines on my test revealing that Asa was with us.  What a year it's been.  I remember posting last year on the day after our Lent service and telling you all I was expecting.  I remember sitting in that room so full of so many different emotions and hearing them say "from dust you came and to dust you shall return" and realizing I was, at the same time, experiencing both extremes with my babies.  The one just being formed and the one buried in the ground.

The kids & I decided we were giving up juice for Lent and that we will drink water instead - reminding us that we need the Living Water from God more than anything else in this world.

Tonight I stood there holding this sweet, healthy, alive baby boy.  During worship, they invited everyone up to get ashes put on our foreheads, as a sign of repentence to God.  I walked up with Asa and Pastor Doug made a cross on my forehead with the ashes.  I turned Asa towards him and he made a cross on his forehead - and as he did, he said "Ashes to ashes, Dust to dust".   It was kind of intense hearing those words directed at my boy - and I realized that I'm still so scared of losing him.  I walked back to my seat and the song playing said "Fear has no place at the sound of your name" - and I just knew.

For Lent, I need to give up more than juice.  I need to give up fear.


Isaiah got his hands on Asa's cross :o)


2 comments:

We so appreciate your words of encouragement!
Thank you! ♥ The Aubes