Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Selective Hearing

Yesterday I went out to rake a bit in my yard and decided it was time to take down Rachel's Christmas lights.  I still haven't taken down the "hope" star that I hung on my door the day before her birthday... I just can't yet. 

Different subject: There is something that happens quite frequently in the Aube home...  the kids wake in the night and yell for Daddy.  Sometimes I wonder why they don't want Mama... and then I just thank God for two things, one being that I can stay in bed and the other being that I have a husband who will get out of bed to take care of the kids in the night.  Plus, I think the reason they don't yell Mama is cause I don't move very quickly when I'm asleep!  They're smart. :o)

I want to give you the background to what I'm about to try to explain...  I went out last Tues to sort yard sale stuff and my friend Mel picked me up.  When we got back, we sat in the driveway and talked for a while.  I saw Matt shut the lights off around 11pm and go to bed, but didn't think anything of it... until I tried to get in and the doors were locked.  I didn't have my keys cause I got a ride and so I started knocking... which turned to banging... which turned to the neighbors yelling at me 10 minutes later because I was "BEING LOUD!" when he still had not come to let me in.  I'm wanting to dump cold water on him at this point cause I can't for the life of me figure out why the neighbors can hear me and he can't...  we don't have a big house and I even went to the front door so that the sound would travel up the stairs.  By the time he came to the door, I was pretty upset.

So, this morning at 3:30 am, after I had gone to the bathroom (nightly trips now thanks to baby)  I heard Samuel softly say "Daddy" and before I could even register in my mind that he had said it, Matt leaped out of bed and was in their room in about 3 seconds flat.  But he can't hear me pounding on the door??  I questioned. (apparently still not over this)  and he came back with Samuel in his arms and gently laid him next to him and they both went back to sleep.  I, of course, was now wide awake and couldn't fall back asleep.  So over the next two hours, Isaiah woke up and the second his toe hit the floor, Matt sat to attention and diappeared into Isaiah's room.

Now, you should know this is not the first time this has ever happened... this is a daily thing in our house.  The boys wake up way too early and practically every day, I am awoken from a sound sleep and startled because Matt will jump out of bed, as if there's a bad guy in our house or a fire, all because he heard a soft shuffle and knew one of the boys was trying to make their way towards the stairs or was about to wake their brother up...  I just don't get it, sometimes I'm convinced he needs a hearing aid, but this type of stuff blows that theory right out of the water.  He can hear, just only when the kids call... even when he's asleep! 

This morning when I saw him come back to bed with Samuel, I couldn't help but compare it to our relationship with God.  When our Father in heaven hears one of his children call his name, he doesn't hesitate to run to us and provide what we need.  God responds this way for His children because that's what a Good Father does.  And He is good.  However, I don't believe He reacts the same way to the voice of a child that doesn't belong to Him.  And He knows who belongs to Him. I'm sure Matt wouldn't be leaping out of bed for the voice of someone else's child.  Heck, he can't hear me pounding on the door!  But somehow, he knows when one of his own moves in the night... somehow he can hear when they need him... somehow he knows when they are moving towards danger or disobedience.  And he is always right there... he doesn't miss a beat.

As I thought about this in the early hours of the morning, God reminded me again that He hears me... I don't have to bang, all I have to do is quietly whisper "Daddy" and there He is.  He knows when I'm in danger, He knows when I need to be carried to rest in His arms.  He knows when I'm moving towards disobedience.  And being the Good Father He is, He comes to my side and gives me what I need.  Sometimes He carries me in His arms, sometimes He disciplines me, sometimes He calms my fears... but He is always there.

As a woman who grew up without a Daddy in my life, I am so grateful that my children are learning what our amazing God is like through their earthly Daddy.  I've heard it said that children will come to know their God and His love by how their Dads treat them and love them and I know my children are getting an amazing example of Who God is.  He is far from perfect, but they never have to wonder if he'll be there... they never have to question if he loves them... they know that he takes their walk with God very seriously and they know that they can trust him.  If they grow up knowing that God loves them, will always be there and will never settle for a luke-warm relationship with them and that He is trustworthy... what more could I ask for?

And so, I guess I'm okay with taking a back seat for my kids... it's what mom's do, right?  Unfortunately for me, by the time they move out, he probably will need a hearing aid for real...so he may never hear me knocking on the door or calling to him from the other room.  But my Father does... and He won't ever need a hearing aid.  As a matter of fact, with Him, I don't even need to say it out loud. 
I'm so grateful that I'm His child.

This is the confidence which we have before Him, that,
if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.
1 John 5:14

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find;
knock and the door will be opened to you.
Matthew 7:7

4 comments:

  1. So true, he knows the whispers of our heart before we can even put them into words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sit here in tears knowing I was meant to read these words you wrote . My hubby and I are not getting along so great lately but we love each other deeply. Your words did remind me though no matter what I always have someone to rely on . Thanks sometimes it is easy to forget . Don't get me wrong my hubby is great everyone has issues every now and again but its good to be reminded that god is all I'll ever really need =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL...I couldn't help but to laugh as I read about you banging on the door. It is the same in our house, except that it is me who hears the kids and he sleeps right through it. I however can sleep through any other noise besides the kids. :)
    I love that God is like that with us. He is amazing. He is so good all the time. He will never let us go.
    Too it is fantastic that Matt is that type of example to your kids. You must be so grateful.
    Love and Prayers,
    Carrie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would never take down the Hope star.

    ReplyDelete

We so appreciate your words of encouragement!
Thank you! ♥ The Aubes