Saturday, August 14, 2010

Girls love shoes

Girls' Day out!
Our first stop was Tri-City Christian Academy, where Desirae went to school last year, for a used curriculum sale & uniform swap. We will be homeschooling again this year, but she will be doing extra-curricular activities there, so we got some uniforms ordered. Unfortunately, I didn't find what we needed for books, but we did get to talk to a couple of the teachers (who are all awesome, by the way!) and they cried with me as they encouraged me in our struggle.

Next stop...SHOES!! We went and bought Des some new shoes and Rachel her first pair of booties! I can't wait to put them on her. I hope they fit. Everything feels so final. I don't know how big she'll be and I don't get a 2nd chance to go back and get another size. Desirae was insisting we needed to buy these pretty white ones that "Rachel can wear to church". I stood there in the baby isle, tears flowing, as I tried to decide if I should buy them for her to wear to her funeral, probably her only visit to church. I can't help but wonder if she would have loved shoes as much as her big sister. I've been eyeing the cute girl clothes for months, hoping I'd be able to buy some soon. Now I can, and I don't know how.

Des was walking funny on the way out & I asked if they were too big - she said "no, children always walk this way when they first try high heals." I just smiled, I didn't want to break the news that they aren't high-heals - so please don't tell her. She is in love with these shoes! :o) My heart was singing as we walked to the van, my little girl feeling all grown up. She's precious.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. I don't know anyone who is following this who isn't in awe of your strength to turn such a painful event into a positive teaching experience. I also think anyone who has read this will never shop for a pair of booties without your words being a gentle reminder of the miracle and fragility of life. A daughters shopping trip for her first pair of "high shoes" is a priviledge not all will experience or appreciate. Again - your words here are a reminder of what a gift our children are.
    We should do lunch soon. One day that too will be a memory and not a promise. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you bought the booties Stacy. I love the site! The song is beautiful! Love, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just picture Desirae with her great big smile walking with her new shoes! What a precious memory with her. I bet she will always remember picking out her baby sisters booties with you too! Great job on the blog. I love reading your updates. We continue to pray for you, much love... Carol xo

    ReplyDelete

We so appreciate your words of encouragement!
Thank you! ♥ The Aubes